2012年11月25日星期日

  Keep to your prayers


  "Keep to your prayers, and let me go my own way, it's the shortest,"muttered Harry, with his face hidden, and his head down on hisfolded arms.

  "Boys, boys, you'll kill me if you say such things! I have more nowthan I can bear. Don't drive me wild with your reproaches to eachother!" cried their mother, her heart rent with the remorse thatcame too late.

  "No fear of that; you are not a Carrol," answered Harry, with thepitiless bluntness of a resentful and rebellious boy.

  Augustine turned on him with a wrathful flash of the eye, and awarning ring in his stern voice, as he pointed to the door.

  "You shall not insult your mother,replica gucci wallets! Ask her pardon, or go!""She should ask mine! I'll go. When you want me, you'll know whereto find me." And, with a reckless laugh, Harry stormed out of theroom.

  Augustine's indignant face grew full of a new trouble as the doorbanged below, and he pressed his thin hands tightly together,saying, as if to himself:

  "Heaven help me! Yes, I do know; for, night after night, I find andbring the poor lad home from gambling-tables and the hells wheresouls like his are lost."Here Christie thought to slip away, feeling that it was no place forher now that her errand was done. But Mrs. Carrol called her back.

  "Miss Devon--Christie--forgive me that I did not trust you sooner.

  It was so hard to tell; I hoped so much from time; I never couldbelieve that my poor children would be made the victims of mymistake. Do not forsake us: Helen loves you so. Stay with her, Iimplore you, and let a most unhappy mother plead for a most unhappychild." Then Christie went to the poor woman, and earnestly assuredher of her love and loyalty; for now she felt doubly bound to thembecause they trusted her.

  "What shall we do?" they said to her, with pathetic submission,turning like sick people to a healthful soul for help and comfort.

  "Tell Bella all the truth, and help her to refuse her lover. Do thisjust thing, and God will strengthen you to bear the consequences,mont blanc pens,"was her answer, though she trembled at the responsibility they putupon her.

  "Not yet," cried Mrs. Carrol. "Let the poor child enjoy the holidayswith a light heart,--then we will tell her; and then Heaven help usall!"So it was decided; for only a week or two of the old year remained,and no one had the heart to rob poor Bella of the little span ofblissful ignorance that now remained to her.

  A terrible time was that to Christie; for, while one sister, blessedwith beauty, youth,Moncler Outlet, love, and pleasure, tasted life at its sweetest,fake montblanc pens,the other sat in the black shadow of a growing dread, and weariedHeaven with piteous prayers for her relief.

  "The old horror is coming back; I feel it creeping over me. Don'tlet it come, Christie! Stay by me! Help me! Keep me sane! And if youcannot, ask God to take me quickly!"With words like these, poor Helen clung to Christie; and, soul andbody, Christie devoted herself to the afflicted girl. She would notsee her mother; and the unhappy woman haunted that closed door,hungering for the look, the word, that never came to her. Augustinewas her consolation, and, during those troublous days, the priestwas forgotten in the son. But Harry was all in all to Helen then;and it was touching to see how these unfortunate young creaturesclung to one another, she tenderly trying to keep him from the wildlife that was surely hastening the fate he might otherwise escapefor years, and he patiently bearing all her moods, eager to cheerand soothe the sad captivity from which he could not save her.

没有评论:

发表评论